Illegal dumping which has taken place in the two communes of Boissy-l’Aillerie and Puiseux-Pontoise caused a great deal of damage and led to degradation of the site which could have become irreversible if no action had been taken.
Rehabilitation and restoration of a site where illegal dumping had been carried out in the Val d’Oise
The goal of the ECT project at Boissy/Puiseux is to heal a very damaged landscape. The proposed approach takes into account all the constraints applicable to the site: Landscaping, ecological and hydrological.
The project focuses on three main areas:
- Financing the removal and processing of the dumping
- Redeveloping the site and adding value
- Ensuring that the project is viable, by financing it in full
The ECT model for financing land-use development projects
After consulting with the various partners for this project, with the private landowner, with the Cergy-Pontoise conurbation authority, with the communes Boissy-l’Aillerie and Puiseux-Pontoise, with the département (state/county) of Val d’Oise and with decentralised departments of central government, it was determined that the site had enough available surface area to bring in a suitable volume of inert soil and thus carry out an agricultural and landscaping project of quality.
By re-using inert soil, ECT is able to provide funding for the project. The way forward is to achieve a precise balance between the cost of removing and processing the waste and the restoration of the site, and the volume of soil received on site
The project in figures:
- Removal of waste: First half of 2022, with 4 to 6 months of clearance and processing
- Development works with provision of soil: 2 years
- Reclamation of 2.4 hectares (6 acres) of agricultural land
- Creation of 1.3 hectares (3.2 acres) of herbaceous habitats